Thursday, June 9, 2011

The IPS state of EON ZFS NAS Build

It's been a while since there's been an update. Well, after a great deal of hard, slow work, I have some good and bad news. I'll start with the good news. The good news is, there's a booting, 99.7% functional snv 151a based version of EON. The bad news is, this version is not distributable as it's built from Oracle repositories. I decided to use Oracle's repository as a test of process when I could not get a booting Illumos or Openindiana based version. They all panic and reboot after loading the kernel. The good thing here is the process building an IPS image seems to work. So it means back to trying with Illumos and Openindiana. Here are some screenshots of the snv 151a version.
ipadm (new)
ptree










smbstat (new)
zpool version

8 comments:

Max said...

Woohoo! Great news! But also terrible! Argh!

My little EON NAS has been fantastic since I started with it over 18 months ago. I'm looking forward to upgrading though as I'd like to use ZFS encrytion.

Thanks a heap, Andre.

Alasdair said...

Hi Andre,

If you drop by #illumos and #oi-dev on irc.freenode.net we can help you out I'm sure.

Cheers,

Alasdair
OI Project Lead

Andre Lue said...

Hi Alasdair,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely do that on this re-try with Openindiana.

David said...

What about on top of nexentacore?

faithful said...

Do you have a recipe to build the snv151? I'm using solaris express but is toomuch bloated for me. I'm searching a more slimmed down version of soleris 11.

dimsoft said...

when waiting for a new version

Aaron aka Frank said...

You might not be able to distribute the binaries, but you should be able to provide the parts that are open source and a package list without incurring the great and powerful Oracle's wrath.

On a side note, I'm a little dismayed at how quick Oracle were to slap their name on everything Sun... really shows that it's not just the open source community they show contempt for.

Andre Lue said...

Max,

Encryption is available in snv 151 but I have not seen it in the oi stable branch.

Thirdwheel,

Unfortunately, being built from IPS, all the pieces matter. I wouldn't want to say/do anything to disturb the mighty oracle. My greatest concern is they making all this great technology, irrelevant.