For release 0.59.5 based on snv_125 I am thinking of adding 2 more images. A 64-bit CIFS and Samba version without any embedded web server. These images would be able add a web server based on lighttpd, if needed. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this? With the great news that ZFS de-duplication is complete, we can hope to see a SXCE release. Many thanks to Jeff Bonwick, Bill Moore, Mark Maybee, Matt Ahrens, Adam Leventhal, George Wilson, Robin Guo and all the engineers who made this happen.
I would also appreciate your feedback/review in format(pros:, cons:, and other thoughts:), to understand how EON ZFS storage is filling/failing your storage needs, thus far. I may not be able to address all needs but it would be great to understand how EON is working with you, whether it's good, bad or indifferent.
Update for future releases based on feedback:
- shift SUNWhd, S.M.A.R.T and rsync to the core image, instead of the binary kit.
- attempt to add more intel, broadcom nic drivers. (Note: not all drivers can be added because of image size contribution. Also I have no way of testing with certain hardware. There is a mechanism to add your own drivers)
- add 2 new 64-bit CIFS and Samba versions, with NO HTTP service. Will rely on external lighttpd, if HTTP service is needed.
- add COMSTAR, to replace iscsitgtd.
- documentation to help new to opensolaris, beginners and less technical audience. It would help greatly if you, the user would document or do write-ups, based on your experiences and challenges with EON. I could add the write-up to the wiki to help others. Proper credit will be given for your work.